photo credit http://www.htc.com
This is a list of recommended improvements for the T-Mobile G1 Android Platform. Let me say first of all that there are a list of things i like about the new G1 (which will be posted here soon) including a list of my most favorite Apps.
- Battery life is certainly an issue. I am really hoping a firmware update will be able to increase the battery life to an acceptable level. For now i have to adjust or fine tune my settings to: 2G Networks only, GPS off, Wifi off, Bluetooth off, Display Brightness low, Audible touch tones off, Screen timeout 30secs etc… etc… you get the point.
- An on-screen keyboard is really necessary. It would be nice if it could slide up and down, similar to how the dialer keypad is able to slide up and down while in call.
- From time to time icons are unresponsive. It doesn’t happen that often, but I know other users are experiencing the same issue.
- Utilizing the accelerometer more often. For example, if you tilt the phone while browsing the web it should automatically switch to landscape mode without having to slide out the keyboard.
- There are a lot of great apps in the marketplace, but we need more productivity apps and more high quality apps as well. I’m guessing this will improve with time.
- For some strange reason when receiving text messages, there is no audible alert at all.
- This is a small complaint, but it would be nice if the OS remembered the line you were working on even after sliding out the keyboard to begin typing.
- The backlight for the keyboard and the buttons located on the “chin” of the device needs a settings which would allow them to stay on longer. The backlight currently stays lit for only 5 secs. If you’re using the keyboard at night, get use to moving the trackball to maintain the backlight.
Update: There is a manual way of switching to landscape, without sliding out the keyboard, by using the browser’s settings (Menu>More>Flip orientation)